This page lists major changes to this guide. A new version of the textbook is released each calendar year marked with a 1.0 increase in the version number. Changes made within a year are each marked with a 0.01 increase in the version number.
||Original textbook created.
- Created 1.1 Purpose of Communication
- Edited 1.2 Goal Setting and Evaluation
- Moved 1.1 How do you decide on and defend your position? to Section 2 and re-named to 2.1.1 Developing a Good Argument
- Re-organized chapters in Part 3
- Removed “How to motivate yourself and others when the task seems impossible: Sisyphus and climate change.”
- Added student knowledge products (mini-essays, briefing notes, communication plans)
- Revised the introductory sections of all three Parts.
- Removed supplemental material from 1.3 Audience
- Edited 3.2 Written Communication Materials
- Added Section 3.2.2 Newsletters and Section 3.2.3 Self-publishing and Op-Eds
- Re-wrote sections 1.4, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 3.6.
- Renamed section 3.6 to “Stakeholder Engagement”
- Added key takeaways to all chapters in Part 3
||June – August 2021
- Added student knowledge products from SPPH 552 2020W1 including communication plans, mini essays, blogs, and briefing notes.
- Added Chapter 2.2 Truth and Denial
- Removed removed Chapter 2.1.1
- Revised Chapter 2.1 Practical Reasoning as a Tool for Message Development