How can engineers engage in meaningful and respectful relationships with Indigenous communities? This module will guide students through understanding engineering practice through various lenses, incorporating community knowledge to strengthen engineering work, and respecting Indigenous governance and title.
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Critique personal, local and professional enforcement of colonial priorities across cultural boundaries
- Recognize Indigenous legal and social authority in the consultation process
- Identify the Aboriginal and Treaty Rights Information System (ATRIS) system to access local consultation considerations.
- Relate engineering practice to it’s local context through the practice of recognizing & synthesizing various ways of knowing
- Understand when and how it is appropriate to engage with Elders in the consultation process