After this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define force, mass and inertia
- Understand Newton’s first law of motion.
- Define net force, external force, and system.
- Understand Newton’s second law of motion.
- Apply Newton’s second law to determine the weight of an object.
- Understand Newton’s third law of motion.
- Define normal and tension forces.
- Apply Newton’s laws of motion to solve problems involving a variety of forces.
- Define linear momentum.
- Explain the relationship between momentum and force.
- State Newton’s second law of motion in terms of momentum.
- Calculate momentum given mass and velocity.
- Define impulse.
- Describe the principle of conservation of momentum.
- Describe an elastic collision of two objects in one dimension.
- Determine the final velocities in an elastic collision given masses and initial velocities.