Download the module 4 overview as a Word document.
Welcome to Module #4! Up until now, we’ve focused on expressing our own ideas in different genres and formats. Now, we’re going to bring other voices into the conversation by learning how to find sources and use them effectively.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN! Work with your pod to make your mind map for Module 3. Remember: the goal of the mind map is to help you deepen your learning by inviting you to make connections between different elements of the course. You should find connections between the 4 elements of the course (Brenda Knights narratives, readings, interactive lecture, activities/ assignments) and between Module 1, 2 and 3.
Working in your group, think about what you learned and how those ideas are connected. Your mind map doesn’t have to include EVERY idea presented, just the ones that are meaningfully connected for your group.
<<insert overview video>>
- We will explore why we use sources.
- We will find useful primary and secondary sources.
- We will analyze sources to determine their trustworthiness.
- We will integrate sources into our writing by quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing.
- We will give credit by citing our sources effectively.
- We will explore how source use is culturally determined and discuss our source use values.