Chapter 2: Patient Assessment
Critical Thinking Exercises: Questions, Answers, and Sources / References
Critical thinking questions are in bold type, and the answers are italicized. Additional resources or references are provided below.
- Identify three strategies to reduce falls risk in a client with unlimited mobility.
- Ensure lighting is adequate.
- Eliminate area rugs that can shift and cause a fall.
- Ensure adequate lighting.
- Clean up spills.
- Cover cable and cords in walkways.
- Encourage wearing comfortable, well-fitting shoes.
- Take your time. Pay attention to where you’re going.
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. (2019). OSH answers fact sheets. https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/falls.html
2. Besides nursing, identify interdisciplinary roles that can assist patients with mobility issues.
Nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, social work, speech-language pathology, nutritionist, and nonprofessional home support services
Markle-Reid, M., Browne, G., Gafni, A., Roberts, J., Weir, R., Thabane, L., Miles, M., Vaitonis, V., Hecimovich, C., Baxter, P., & Henderson, S. (2010). The effects and costs of a multifactorial and interdisciplinary team approach to falls prevention for older home care clients ‘at risk’ for falling: A randomized controlled trial. Canadian Journal on Aging, 29(1), 139-161. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0714980809990377
Sample Learning Activity
- Perform a range of motion / strength assessment on a partner, and document narratively. Students can work in partners and give each other feedback on their performance and documentation.