Chapter 16: Reading and Understanding Social Research
- A table provides a quick, condensed summary of the report’s key findings.
- Statistical significance tells us the likelihood that the relationships we observe could be caused by something other than chance.
- The null hypothesis is simply the assumption that no relationship exists between the variables in question.
- Being a responsible consumer of research means giving serious thought to and understanding what you do know, what you do not know, what you can know, and what you cannot know.
- Sociological research appears in many areas of our lives and sometimes can be of benefit in areas of your life outside of the classroom.