Food Concepts – Your Grocery List Activity
Module 1 provides a foundational understanding of the definitions and concepts associated with food security and food insecurity that will help us better connect the influences that climate change can have on our food supply. Before we delve into those concepts, we need to all understand the most basic concept:
What is FOOD?
To begin, please grab a receipt from a recent grocery shopping trip and select five to seven items that you consider food, and answer, to the best of your ability the following questions:
- Is the item imported, or local?
- Where is the item from (as close as you can determine)?
- How do you think the item was produced?
- Do you believe it is nutritious, safe, healthy?
- Do you believe it is affordable?
- Was it grown in a way that was considerate of the environment?