By the end of this module, you will:
- Develop your own working definition of food and connect it to the concepts in this course.
- Become familiar with food security definitions and concepts and how they are expressed in various Community Food Security policies.
- Understand Indigenous Food Sovereignty frameworks.
- Identify the factors leading to food insecurity and deprivation globally and locally.
- Connect your own personal experiences of food security and food insecurity.
How to proceed with Module 1
Content Section 1
- Read: Module One Overview (this page)
- Watch Mini Lecture: Instructor Overview of Module One.
- Complete Grocery List Activity
- Read page and watch video: What is Food?
- Watch Mini Lecture: Food Security and Food Sovereignty Concepts
- Read – Food Security: A Quebec Case Study
- Watch Mini Lecture: What is Food Insecurity
- Watch YouTube video: Food Insecurity – What is Community Food Security/Insecurity?
- Read: Community Food Security Deep Dive
Content Section 2
- Read and Watch: What is Indigenous Food Sovereignty? plus, Interview with Dawn Morrison
- Watch Mini Lecture: What is Indigenous Food Insecurity?
- Watch Video: What is Food Insecurity in Canada with Dr. Valerie Tarasuk
- Complete Discussion
- Write: Guided Reflection