Chapter 7: Growing and Developing
- Another term for a fertilized ovum is:
- According to the text, middle adulthood lasts until approximately:
a. age 35
b. age 45
c. age 55
d. age 65
- ________ parenting combines high responsiveness with low demandingness.
- The trajectory of development beginning at conception is:
a. zygote, fetus, embryo
b. embryo, zygote, fetus
c. zygote, embryo, fetus
d. embryo, fetus, zygote
- Which of the following is one of Marcia’s stages of identity development?
- Which of the following has been put forward as a criticism of Piaget’s theory?
a. he was not meticulous about his methods
b. he did not pay enough attention to the social environment
c. his findings apply to girls but not to boys
d. his findings apply to boys but not to girls
- Longitudinal research involves:
a. testing different people of the same age
b. testing different people at the same stage of development
c. testing the same people at different ages
d. a and b
- According to research, which is the most common type of attachment?
- A baby is repeatedly shown a blue circle. Over time the baby shows less and less interest in the blue circle. This illustrates:
a. sensory deprivation
d. reflexive adjustment
- Kohlberg proposed a stage theory of:
a. cognitive development
b. sexual development
c. social development
d. moral development
- Cross-sectional studies are particularly vulnerable to:
b. lack of ongoing research funding
c. cohort effects
- Which brain area is responsible for reasoning and planning?
b. pre-frontal cortex
c. temporal lobe
d. parietal lobe
- The “strange situation” is a test of:
- You are watching a newborn when it is startled by a loud noise. The baby extends its arms and legs, then quickly brings them in as if trying to grasp something. This illustrates the:
a. grasp reflex
b. tonic reflex
c. moro reflex
d. stepping reflex
- Kubler-Ross claimed that there are 5 phases of grief. Which of the following was NOT one of the phases she identified?
- ________ ________ is the ability to think and acquire information quickly and abstractly.
a. meta cognition
b. fluid intelligence
c. crystallized intelligence
d. speed reading
- According to the text, early adulthood begins roughly between ages:
a. 15 – 25
b. 20 – 30
c. 25 – 45
d. 30 – 50
- Piaget believed that object permanence is typically attained during which stage?
a. formal operations
b. concrete operations
- You are stroking a baby’s cheek with your finger. The baby turns its head and tries to suck on your finger. The baby is exhibiting the ________ reflex.
a. tonic neck
- ________ are substances that can harm the fetus.
- Which of Marcia’s stages of identity development is characterised by the individual establishing an identity based on the choices or values of others?
- Younger adults would typically outperform older adults on a test of:
a. fluid intelligence
b. crystallized intelligence
- Alzheimer’s disease is associated with a gradual loss of ________ producing neurons.
- Authoritarian parents are:
a. demanding and responsive
b. demanding but not responsive
c. responsive but not demanding
d. neither demanding nor responsive
- Which of the following is part of the prenatal environment?
b. umbilical cord
c. amniotic sac
d. all of the above
- Piaget argued that ________ and ________ go hand in hand during childhood.
a. trust, mistrust
b. intimacy, isolation
c. accommodation, assimilation
d. industry, inferiority
- Which of the following is NOT a teratogen?
- Mary complains when her tall thin glass of juice is poured into a short but wider glass. She tells her father that she now has less juice. Mary has not yet grasped the principle of:
- When compared with someone in their 20s, a person in their 40s is likely to have:
a. worse vision but better hearing
b. worse hearing but better vision
c. worse vision and worse hearing
d. better vision and better hearing
- At which stage of moral development did Kohlberg argue that people can make moral decisions that take account of principles such as justice and equality?