After studying this chapter you should be able to:
- Explain why using our intuition about everyday behaviour is insufficient for a complete understanding of the causes of human behaviour.
- Describe the difference between values and facts and explain how the scientific method is used to differentiate between the two.
- Explain how psychology changed from a philosophical to a scientific discipline.
- List some of the most important questions that concern psychologists.
- Outline the basic schools of psychology and how each school has contributed to psychology.