Appendices: Case Study for Heart Failure
In this case, learners have an opportunity to:
- Review etiological factors (i.e., risk factors, prevalence, comorbidities) associated with HF
- Build knowledge related to the patient’s experience of HF
- Continue to develop comprehensive assessment and monitoring skills and abilities (e.g., cardiac assessment, diagnostic studies, laboratory data)
- Consider the links between evidence-based knowledge and practice in the care of patients with HF (e.g., CCS Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Heart Failure)
- Recommend interventions based on the risk factors, status, and progression of cardiac disease
- Define the roles of healthcare professionals and the contributions they make to the healthcare team (or describe your own role and the roles of those in other professions)
This case describes a patient’s experience with heart failure (HF) related to a post-pregnancy heart murmur.
Learners reviewing this case can consider how influenza affects chronic disease, how heart failure occurs, and treatment options. The same-sex family offers learning opportunities on what family means and explores the changes in societal norms. Interprofessional practice is role modelled between the healthcare professionals likely to care for a heart failure patient.