Ownership of intellectual property is fundamental to the research enterprise, yet few scholars fully understand their rights or feel comfortable negotiating with publishers to retain them. This module will introduce you to intellectual property ownership in the academy and better prepare you to enter into publishing agreements.
- Understand the types of intellectual property in Canada and how they are legally protected
- Identify the gaps in Canadian copyright as it relates to traditional knowledge
- Explain the value of intellectual property to academics and publishers
- Identify common terminology found in journal publisher contracts
- Understand how to negotiate journal publishing contracts
- Explain the benefits and barriers to openly sharing your intellectual property
Image Credit: Stadsbiblioteket, Stockholm, Sweden by Susan Yin licensed under Public Domain.