The modern publishing ecosystem is a complex multi-stakeholder environment. As an individual operating within this system it is valuable to understand the motivations driving this industry and to consider how your decisions contribute to larger systemic issues. This module will introduce you to the complexities of the modern publishing environment and ask you to consider how your publishing decisions align with your values.
- Understand the history of academic publishing and the impact of the transition to digital publishing
- Understand the basic economics of publishing
- Identify the role of the academic library within the publishing ecosystem
- Identify predatory publishing practices and their relationship to open access
- Evaluate the degree to which publishers confer value and prestige within the academy
- Consider the future of academic publishing
Image Credit: Stadsbiblioteket, Stockholm, Sweden by Susan Yin. Public Domain.