The Program for Open Scholarship and Education (POSE) is committed to providing a safe, respectful, and productive environment so you can fully engage in learning with your peers and colleagues. The University of British Columbia, which hosts POSE, has a commitment to a respectful environment that states:
Respect for the value of freedom of expression and promotion of free inquiry are central to the University’s mission. However, these freedoms cannot exist without an equally vigorous commitment to recognition of and respect for the freedoms of others, and concern for the well-being of every member of the university community. Excellence in scholarship, teaching and employment activities flows from active concern and respect for others, including their ability to participate meaningfully in the exchange of information, ideas, beliefs and opinions.
The purpose of this code of conduct is to provide a safe, harassment-free learning environment.
All POSE participants, organizers, and volunteers must abide by this code of conduct as part of participation.
What is harassment?
Everyone in the POSE program has a responsibility to create and maintain a respectful learning environment by exercising consideration and respect in our speech and actions and refraining from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behaviour and speech. Harassment includes behaviours such as:
- Offensive verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to and including gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, or religion
- Sexual language and imagery any POSE environments, including synchronous sessions, online comment and discussion boards, online learning spaces, and social media
- Deliberate intimidation or stalking
- Taking screenshots or recordings of other people without their consent
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Do not harass others (see above)
- Focus on impact, not intention. This includes considerations like offering warnings if forthcoming content or topics may be difficult
- Attempt collaboration before conflict
If you are being harassed or notice that someone else is being harassed, please contact the POSE organizers immediately at email@example.com. Anonymity will be maintained as much as possible, but may be compromised if action is required. Thank you for helping to co-create a learning environment where the exchange of ideas is vibrant, respectful, and free of harassment. Please contact us if you have any questions.